Menu
World Jewish Congress condemns 'disgraceful' neo-Nazi march in Washington: 'Hatred and extremism cannot be allowed to tear the fabric of our society apart'

World Jewish Congress condemns 'dis…

NEW YORK – The World Jewi...

Israel Under Attack

Israel Under Attack

Hamas began shooting proj...

Sniper in Gaza Kills IDF Staff Sergeant Aviv Levi

Sniper in Gaza Kills IDF Staff Serg…

Once again, violent riots...

Tell United Nations To Condemn Hamas’ Environmental War Crimes!

Tell United Nations To Condemn Hama…

We call upon Mr. Erik Sol...

PM Netanyahu on the ‘White Helmets’

PM Netanyahu on the ‘White Helmets’

​I approved the evacuatio...

Swedish PM Löfven responds to WJC CEO Singer’s concern over rising anti-Semitism, says government has taken ‘raft of measures to safeguard’ Jewish community

Swedish PM Löfven responds to WJC C…

NEW YORK – The Swedish go...

Israel under fire

Israel under fire

Families in southern Isra...

Pitch for Hope competition calls on youth in UK, US, and Israel to propose creative ideas for curbing racism and anti-Semitism in sports

Pitch for Hope competition calls on…

NEW YORK – Chelsea Footba...

PM Netanyahu meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin

PM Netanyahu meets with Russian Pre…

Prime Minister Benjamin N...

The IDF’s response to ongoing Hamas terror attacks

The IDF’s response to ongoing Hamas…

The Kerem Shalom Crossing...

Prev Next
A+ A A-

US Officials: Israel Attacked Syrian Port Featured

"Regional media reported large explosions in Latakia on that date, but it remained unclear who was responsible. Israel has neither confirmed nor denied involvement in the incident."


VOA News


U.S. officials say Israeli warplanes struck the Syrian port of Latakia earlier this month, targeting a delivery of Russian anti-ship missiles in what would be Israel's fourth such operation in Syria this year.

The officials told CNN and The New York Times that Israel attacked the cache of Yakhont missiles on July 5 because it feared they could threaten Israeli naval forces.

Regional media reported large explosions in Latakia on that date, but it remained unclear who was responsible. Israel has neither confirmed nor denied involvement in the incident.

Last week, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon reiterated Israel's vow to stay out of the Syrian civil war. He also repeated Israel's pledge to enforce self-proclaimed "red lines" against attempts by Syrian leaders to provide sophisticated weapons to their Lebanese militant allies, Hezbollah.

Israel fought a month-long war with Hezbollah in 2006.

U.S. media have said Israel attacked Syria once in January and twice in May in a bid to destroy Russian and Iranian-supplied weapons suspected of being destined for Hezbollah. Israel also has refused to confirm or deny responsibility for those attacks.

In another development, Syrian opposition groups said fighting between government and rebel forces in the Damascus suburb of Qaboun has left hundreds of civilians trapped in a mosque.

The main opposition Syrian National Coalition appealed to the international community to take action to free the people inside the mosque and protect them from government troops who have been fighting to regain control of rebellious Damascus suburbs for months.

Last modified onThursday, 30 April 2015 18:58

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

back to top

Sections

Jewish Traditions

About Us

Community

Cooperations

Follow Us