An Israeli civilian was shot and killed by sniper fire on Tuesday (24 December 2013) in southern Israel in a shooting attack near the Israel-Gaza border fence.
The attack occurred as the man was repairing a part of the security fence damaged by the winter storm last week. He was flown by helicopter to Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba but died of his wounds en route.
Prime Minister Netanyahu: "This is a very severe incident and we will not let it go unanswered. Our policy until now has been to act beforehand and to respond in force and this is how we will act regarding this incident as well."
There have been several attempts to place explosives on the border fence in the past several days. On Monday (December 23) a rocket fired from Gaza landed near a children’s bus stop in the Ashkelon area.
- Israel and Senegal announce end to crisis
- World Jewish Congress President Ronald S. Lauder urges football associations worldwide to reject anti-Israel vote in FIFA
- Israel – The Magic Land at the Holy Land
- 230 Ukrainian Immigrants Arrive in Israel for Passover, Part of Effort to Rescue Embattled Jews
- Ambassadors Against BDS: 2,000 gather at United Nations HQ in New York in support of Israel