An Israeli civilian was shot and killed by sniper fire on Tuesday (24 December 2013) in southern Israel in a shooting attack near the Israel-Gaza border fence.
The attack occurred as the man was repairing a part of the security fence damaged by the winter storm last week. He was flown by helicopter to Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba but died of his wounds en route.
Prime Minister Netanyahu: "This is a very severe incident and we will not let it go unanswered. Our policy until now has been to act beforehand and to respond in force and this is how we will act regarding this incident as well."
There have been several attempts to place explosives on the border fence in the past several days. On Monday (December 23) a rocket fired from Gaza landed near a children’s bus stop in the Ashkelon area.
- 3rd Diplomatic Race to celebrate Israel's special needs community
- PM Netanyahu's remarks at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting
- PM Netanyahu addresses the Christian Media Summit
- ADL Welcomes Announcement That Israeli Judokas Can Participate in UAE Tournament Under Their Own Flag
- Israel and Gaza: How did we get here?