“It is most unfortunate that here is yet another UN Human Rights Council report that puts the democratic State of Israel and the terror group Hamas on the same level, that unfairly accuses Israel of deliberately killing civilians in Gaza and that fails to address Israel’s right under international law to defend its very existence against the threats coming from Gaza,” said Singer.
“If further proof was still needed that the United Nations is biased against Israel, this is it. It is slanderous and wrong to suggest, as the report does, that the Israel Defense Forces is an immoral army, a serial perpetrator of war crimes and a force that deliberately disrespects its international obligations. Repeating it for the umpteenth time doesn’t make it true.
“The cause of the Gaza conflict last year was the behavior of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza. Hamas was the aggressor, not Israel. But strangely, Hamas is barely mentioned in this report.”
Singer announced that the WJC and dozens of other NGOs would organize a rally in Geneva next Monday (29 June) in support of Israel. It will coincide with the debate of the commission’s report in the Human Rights Council.
- WJC President Lauder commends Comerica for closing anti-Israel group’s bank account
- Hate speech and incitement on the internet must be curbed, German minister tells WJC delegation
- WJC laments shocking rise in number of anti-Semitic incidents registered in UK
- WJC President Lauder: Colombia's Juan Manuel Santos deserves Nobel Peace Prize
- WJC officials to meet with leaders from 30 nations in New York this week