Below is my recipe for matzah ball soup. The parsley in the matzah balls is not traditional, but I like it that way.
- 1/2 cup matzah meal
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. oil or schmaltz (melted chicken fat)
- 2 tbsp. water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- a little black pepper
- 2 quartsthin chicken broth or consommי
Bring the broth to a vigorous boil, then reduce the heat until the broth is just barely boiling. Wet your hands and make balls of about 1-2 tbsp. of the batter. Drop the balls gently into the boiling water. They will be cooked enough to eat in about 15 minutes; however, you may want to leave it simmering longer to absorb more of the chicken broth flavor. They are done when they float on top of the broth and look bloated.
For lighter matzah balls, use a little less oil, a little more water, and cook at a lower temperature for a longer time. For heavier matzah balls, do the reverse. If you are using this to treat a cold, put extra black pepper into the broth (pepper clears the sinuses).
- 230 Ukrainian Immigrants Arrive in Israel for Passover, Part of Effort to Rescue Embattled Jews
- Bnei Menashe Community in Northeastern India Holds a Hugh 'Model Seder' for Passover
- Matzah Cake
- Chocolate Espresso Torte for Passover
- Ancient Chinese Jewish Community of Kaifeng to Hold Traditional Passover Seder for First Time